Saturday 21 March 2015

Game Research

Pirate Games

The following titles are games i have explored so i can get a better understanding about how other games have portrayed pirates. I will be looking for key areas such as; speech, movement, clothes. The reason why i am looking at the areas listed is because by doing this i will be able to bring my pirate to life by applying them key areas to my design. The game titles i have looked at are; Risen 2: Dark Waters, Assassins Creed Black Flag and Ravens Cry.

Firstly Risen 2: Dark Waters, to gather research i watched a few cut scenes from the game. The voice acting in this game was rather poor, so i wouldn't want to implement this into my design. Again the characters movement in this game wasn't great either, it seemed very basic, it didn't make me believe i was watching a pirate game. However the clothes design was very pirate like, i will be gathering reference materiel from this game for my design on clothes.

Secondly i researched Assassins Creed Black Flag, for my research i watched cut scenes from the game. The speech in this game was done very well, the voices suited all the characters, I will come back to this game if or when i need to show how my character design would talk/sound. Movement in this games cut scenes was all done to a high standard the main characters all had there own unique movement, some would have a heavy sway where others would stand tall and strong, i like this as it shows the characters as having there own personality without even speaking, i will come back to this game if or when i need to design how my characters movement would be. Finally the clothes were also perfect for what i am looking for, they suit all the character design and they also fit the time period very well.

The final game i gathered research from for the above key areas was Ravens Cry, the speech in the game was okay but i don't think i will be referring back to this game when or if i need speech for my design. The characters in this game had there own unique movement again, i personally liked the way the playable character walked in the cut scenes because he had this walk which was comparable to him saying "I'm a bad ass, fear me" which i guess is what most pirates wanted, to be feared. Finally the clothes, they again fit perfect for what i am looking for and i will be referring back to this game when required.

Other games i may look at are:

Age Of Pirates Series
Galleon 
Pirates of the Burning Sea
Sid Meir's Pirates.


No comments:

Post a Comment