Thursday 26 March 2015

New Art Style For Alien vs Pirates MMORPG

26/03/2015

Due to my game now being changed to a mmorpg i need to rethink about art styles so it will suit my new game design. The art style I originally decided for my story driven game was Assassins Creed Black Flag with a mix of Chivalry Medieval Warfare. However now my game has changed to a mmorpg I am going to change this because I feel my first art style will not suit a mmorpg. The following are art styles I have assessed.


Guild Wars 2

 Firstly I explored Guild wars 2 art style, I would say this art style is semi-realistic this is when games may want to look realistic, but they don’t take place in a realistic setting. Or maybe they want to use more colour. The semi-realistic style captures these environments. They tend to be fantasy oriented titles. I really like the style of guild wars 2 and I am considering using this art style.












World Of Warcraft

 Secondly I research the art style of World Of Warcraft, the style used here is cartoony. This style goes in the opposite direction of realistic, The style is usually colourful and over the top. This style is prevalent in flash games, handheld games, and most Nintendo games, but there are other obvious examples as well.











Tera 

Tera was the third game art style I explored, this art style again is semi-realistic. It seems to have a more bright colourful pallet than Guild Wars 2, although there is still some similarities.












Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

 Finally I examined FF XIV art style, again this is a semi-realistic art style. A lot of recent and new mmorpg seem to be heading down the route of semi-realistic.



From exploring and researching the above art styles I have come to the concluion of creating my design around semi-realistic, I will be following in the footsteps of Guild Wars 2 however I want my game to have a darker colour pallet and be similer to the mmorpg Age Of Conan Unchained. I think doing this will make my art style suit the theme of the game, it will also aim my game at a older audience I am currently aiming for a audience of 16+. An example of Age Of Conans art style is below.



No comments:

Post a Comment